I hope you had a wonderful weekend!! I did! I was at home celebrating my Mom’s birthday with this amazing Peanut Butter Silk Cake that my sister and I baked. This cake is amazing! It’s semi-homemade because we used a yellow cake mix, but we doctored up the cake mix by adding peanut butter and made a homemade peanut butter filling and a chocolate frosting for the top and sides. This cake was a huge hit served with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream. Who wouldn’t love this for their birthday? I think my Mom and the rest of my family did!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped peanuts, optional
- Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pans) and generously grease bottoms of 2 (8- or 9-inch) round cake pans with shortening or cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, 1/2 cup peanut butter, the oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around sides of pans to loosen cakes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and stir in brown sugar. Heat to boiling, boil, and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat and refrigerate 10 minutes.
- In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream on high speed until soft peaks form and set aside. In another medium bowl, beat 1/2 cup peanut butter and the brown sugar mixture on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add whipped cream to peanut butter mixture and beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Place one layer on a serving plate and spread peanut butter filling until smooth. Place other cake layer on top and set aside.
- To make the chocolate frosting, microwave the chocolate in a small microwavable bowl until melted, about 1 minute. Cool 10 minutes.
- Beat the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and milk in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually beat in melted chocolate until well blended.
- Frost sides and top of cake with chocolate frosting. Press peanuts onto frosting on side of cake. Store covered in refrigerator.
- *Adapted from Betty Crocker