Everyone needs a little comfort food now and then, and these Mashed Potatoes w/Caramelized Onions & Rosemary are definitely the perfect dish. I served them with a nice, grilled steak (thanks for grilling, Dad!). I caramelized some onions, garlic, and fresh rosemary. Rosemary goes really well with potatoes, so that was my herb of choice. Herbs are one of those things that I play around with in dishes. Some herbs are notorious for complementing certain foods; mint, for example, goes really well with fresh fruit and peas. I love making pasta with peas and fresh mint. Trust me, it takes delicious. Here’s a picture on Pinterest that I thought I’d share with you. Enjoy the mashed potatoes!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Sea salt and cracked pepper, for seasoning
- In a large stock pot, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Cook until a fork easily pierces the potatoes, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary to onions and saute an additional 5 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and mash, adding milk until smooth. Add onions, garlic, and rosemary and stir to combine. Season liberally with salt and pepper.