I hope everyone had a fantastic Mother’s Day weekend! After my work visits to Toronto and Buffalo, I stopped by my parents house to spend the weekend with them and to celebrate my mom’s special day. This was a great visit because I was able to spend some quality time with my mom and dad and also see my two best friends. I always wish that my visits were longer, but it just reminds me of how blessed I am to have such amazing people in my life, and it makes me look forward to my next visit with them.
Saturday evening my dad and I decided to cook my mom a special meal. My mom has a huge rhubarb bush outside, so I decided to make this Angel Food Bruschetta w/Strawberry Rhubarb Compote. I toasted the angel food cake and served this strawberry rhubarb compote on top. It was light, delicious, and perfect for the season. Enjoy!
- 4 cups 1/2-inch-wide pieces fresh rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, more for garnish
- 1, circular angel food cake, cut into 8 wedges
- Whipped cream or ice cream for topping
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, water, and lemon zest in large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to simmer, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Simmer gently until rhubarb is tender but not falling apart, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in strawberries. Transfer to a bowl, stir in mint, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet, cook cake wedges over medium-high heat 3-5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Turn to brown evenly. (I cooked 4 wedges at a time.)
- On a serving plate, place angel food wedge and spoon compote over. Dollop whipped cream or ice cream on top and garnish with fresh mint.
*Adapted from Bon Appetit