It’s almost spring around here, so I decided to make some of these chewy Lemon Sprinkle Cookies. You really can’t go wrong with a chewy cookie especially when it tastes like lemon and looks so colorful and fun with rainbow sprinkles. I’m obssessed with rainbow sprinkles and have been known (or caught) eating spoonfuls of sprinkles by my hubby. But I have a sweet tooth and sometimes a spoonful of sprinkles helps the medicine go down. Enjoy these cookies and the upcoming spring season!
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest/rind
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixture, add the cooled, melted butter and whisk the sugars into it until smooth. Add the egg and egg yolk and whisk to combine. Whisk in extracts, lemon juice and lemon zest until combined. Stir in dry ingredients, mixing until a dough forms.
- Using a cookie scoop, place dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until middle is just set an edges are slightly golden. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Pour sprinkles in a small bowl and set aside. Meanwhile, in another small bowl whisk confectioner’s sugar and lemon extract. Add 1 tbsp milk at a time until desired frosting consistency is reached. With a small spatula, spread frosting on top of cookie and press cookie into sprinkles. Allow to dry completely. Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
Yield: 22 cookies
*Adapted from How Sweet It Is