My mom has come down to visit, and I’m so excited to have some quality time with her this weekend. We don’t have any particular plans for the weekend; my mom has been to most of the museums and monuments in D.C. and since I live in Northern, VA, but commute to D.C. for work everyday, I am not complaining about staying close to home for the weekend. The one thing I did tell my mom was that I have a couple baking projects this weekend. She gladly said she would help me and since she’s the master and taught me everything I know, I happily accepted. Before we start baking a few goodies this weekend, I wanted to share this wonderful slow cooker recipe with you.
I love sauerkraut on sausages, but I honestly don’t make it that much. I don’t know why – I think I just forget about it?! So now I’m giving some well-deserved limelight to sauerkraut. The obvious accompaniment to sauerkraut is sausages, so I decided to make some sausages, apples, and sauerkraut slow cooked in lager. Since my mom is on Weight Watchers (successfully I might add!), I decided to make apple smoked chicken sausages. You can use whatever type of sausages you like – next time I’ll use bratwursts since my hubby loves them. Allowing the sausages, sauerkraut, and apples to cook all day in lager makes for one flavorful and amazing meal. I served them inside whole wheat hoagie rolls, but you don’t need to serve them in anything since they’re that good by themselves!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 links sausages/bratwursts
- 4-5 slices smoked bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 can sauerkraut (24 oz.)
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced
- 2 bottles lager, such as Pilsner
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- sea salt to season
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- In a large saute pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat and cook bacon until brown and crispy. Remove bacon (keep oil) and allow to drain on paper towels. Once cool, cut into small pieces.
- To the bacon oil, add onion and carrots and cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Remove carrots and onions and set aside with bacon.
- Add sausages to pan and cook until brown.
- To the slow cooker, add the sausages, carrots, onion and bacon. Dice up the apples and add to slow cooker along with sauerkraut, beer, chicken stock, bay leafs, salt, and peppercorns. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve alone or inside hoagie rolls.